Cleaning Fountain Pens
Cleaning your Fountain Pen
Fountain pen ink is water soluble. Do not use alcohol or other solvents to clean your pen. It may damage the components.
- Unscrew the barrel from the nib section.
- Rinse the nib by filling and emptying it with water (repeat this until the water is clear). Caution: Ink residue will flow out.
- If the pen uses a cartridge/converter, place the nib section into a beaker or other container of clean water and let it soak overnight. The water level should completely cover the nib.
- Let the nib soak for 10 to 15 minutes (for clogs, soak overnight if necessary).
- Lightly blow air through the nib assembly to clear all liquid out of the nib.
- Dry the nib and gripping section with a lint-less soft cloth.
- Repeat this several times, then dry the nib and gripping section with a soft cloth or paper towel.
- Wash your pen every few weeks or whenever changing ink colors.